Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Fish Store

I REALLY REALLY hate posting a picture of myself after a title like that, but.......


photo by Taylor



blouse: H&M
trousers: Zara
belt: Aritzia
sandals: Gucci (from Milano, not Toronto)
ring: Le Chateau....only 18 bucks!  It makes me want a piece of toffee real bad.........



Im really lucky in my relationship......the stars aligned & I found a man who is as much of a food slut as I am.  Seriously, watching us on a date is like watching 2 hogs at the feeding trough.  Hes been introducing me to all kinds of little culinary gems around the city.  On our first date, he rolled out the red carpet and took me to a 5-star restaurant; the bill was $400+.  Then we slept together and now he takes me to places like "The Fish Store";  a tiny little "mom & pop" shop that specializes in serving......wait for it.......fish.

The Fish Store: exterior
The Fish Store: Interior.......id ballpark it about 300-350 sq. feet

We both got the soup & sandwich combo; I chose Boston Chowder & a grilled shrimp sandwich, he chose the Manhattan Clam Chowder & an arctic char sandwich.  We did half-sies on the sandwiches:


Boston Chowder

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Left: Grilled Shrimp
Right: Arctic Char

Let me tell you, IT WAS ARGUABLY ONE OF THE BEST SANDWICHES I HAVE EVER TASTED.  Wait, wait, wait, lets start with the soups: The Boston Chowder was good, I really loved that the clam & other seafood in it was cooked to perfection & wasnt "rubbery" at all.  The broth was a bit bland & needed pepper; it also wasnt as creamy as I would have liked.  As with most things from New York, the Manhattan Chowder was WAYYYYY better.  Tomato-y, savoury & chocked full of flavour.....the seafood bits in it were also perfectly cooked.

The sandwiches were absolutely to die for; both the shrimp & char were grilled to perfection.  Combined with fresh, ripe slices of avocado (a $1extra but an absolute must) and a delicious bakery fresh roll.....it was heavenly.  I smothered it in hot sauce (not because it needed flavour, just because I like spice) and devoured every last morcel of my meal.  After we were done, the owner completely forgot we hadnt paid for our food yet......normally I would have taken advantage & bolted, but it was SO DELICIOUS that I reminded him & shelled out the cash.  Snacks I Have Known rule: you dont scam a "mom & pop"......save that for the big corporations.

This is a definite SNACKS I HAVE KNOWN reccomendation.  Both combos came to about $15 each (cash only), but considering how fresh & "real" the ingredients are.....it was well worth the money.


Now all they need to do is work on that name.......




FIERCEWITHAHIGHWAIST